Saturday, August 16, 2008

Pop Art!



I'm home from camp, and very glad to say I had an extremely successful and fulfilling summer. I was surprised to see how relatively busy the blog has gotten in my absence. I guess simple art projects are always in demand!

Anyhow, I wanted to share a new project today. This was a great idea given to me by Samantha, one of my staff members from Australia. It was wonderful, the kids loved it, inexpensive and easy as pie.

We started out taking photos of each camper, in front of a simple background. We encouraged the girls not to smile with their mouths open, instead, to pose in an "artsy" fashion. We wanted to avoid photos looking like mug-shots or yearbook photos.

Next, we opened up the photos in Photo-Shop. By converting photos to Black and White, and playing with the brightness and the contrast (and if you are familiar with Photo-Shop, this only takes a tiny bit of practice), we were able to change the picture to look more "cartoonish".

We printed photos onto Transparency Paper, (we made 3 copies of each photo...5x7 sized).

Once photos were printed, we provided construction paper to the campers, which they ripped and cut, and basically made collages, in bright colors underneath the transparencies. We let them make several versions of the same picture, each with different color underneath.

Finally, we mounted the whole creation on black construction paper.

The camper's parents went INSANE, and each parent commented that this project was frame able art. I totally agree.

2 comments:

Leeanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

How did you "glue" the transparency, so that it did not shift?

Looks great!

Stumble Upon Toolbar